A client needed a thermoformed part that would act as a splash guard covering an electronic component from getting wet.
Our client needed a full-scale solution from design to fabrication, to ensure optimal functionality. Budget and lead time were critical, as the client had no time to waste and needed an effective solution as soon as possible.
ICP’s sales team dug in and asked more questions about the design and functionality of the part. Our engineering team was then able to make design recommendations for manufacturability. Our solution gave flexibility in how to manufacture the part, to accommodate budget and lead time needs.
First, we modified the design allowing for creased rule and perforations that create the bends instead of forming them. Then, we presented our client with two options.
We came up with the following solutions:
- Thermoform the part and then trimming it with a 5-Axis CNC.
- Die cut the part with creased rule and perforations.
The client then settled on the die cut version, which gave them the following benefits:
- Shorter lead time – Roughly ½ of the lead time of a thermoformed part.
- Lower tooling cost – Steel rule die was 1/10th of the cost of a water-cooled aluminum forming tool.
- Lower part cost – Part is made with 1 hit of a steel rule die on a piece of plastic.
- Lower shipping cost – parts were able to be shipped in a flat state taking up less space than thermoformed parts that need to be stacked and nested.
Final result: happy client!
This is a perfect example of how our diverse processes allowed us to make recommendations to save both cost and lead time with our customers. ICP’s Sales and Engineering Teams are here to help take your project to the next level.
Connect With Award Winning Engineers Today.
Send us an email or call us to speak to a live person. Ask questions or discuss your specific application, and learn how we may be able to help you.
If you are not ready to Request a Quote at this time, we can serve you in many other ways: